Sunday, February 8, 2009

A day in the life of yellow

Not too much to say this week. It was a pretty regular week...no new students and nothing particularly outrageous. The weekend was quiet and Astin recently fixed the DVD drive on her computer so we have been renting movies from the library and enjoying movies. We haven't done that in, oh, since we left, basically. Here are some highlights from the week:

I learned, via an article I used with some students, the following:
-The head of leading vacuum company in the 50's predicted that we would see nuclear-powered vacuum cleaners within 10 years.
-The postmaster general, also during the 50's, said, "We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
-There were other predictions, including one by Bill Gates predicting that no personal computer would ever need more than 640 kb of memory (what is the average iPod capacity these days?. However, my students and I found the above to be the most ridiculous.

My 6 year old girl produced the other story of the week. We start every class with flashcards. I hold up three fingers or for fingers or whatever and she has to say the word that many times. She has decided to manually check off each time by smushing the finger down as she says it. After several words and several smushings, she suddenly leans and tells me, in Spanish, "I threw up three times." I knew the word for Spanish, but I just wasn't catching it. But finally I understood and wiped the horrified expression off my face. I kind of leaned away and asked her if she felt better now. She nodded and we continued learning exciting words like "strong" and "weak". Suddenly she leaned in and said, confidentially, "I threw up yellow." "You threw up yellow?!" "Yellow." To switch from the disgusted look on my face, I added (in Spanish), "I'm sorry, sweetheart." Apparently this show of affection overflowed her little 6-year-old heart and she flung herself on me and said, "THank you!!!" Oh kids. They're kind of the bomb.

Even if they throw up yellow.

1 comment:

kimberlea faye said...

at least it wasn't green or brown. sick.