Sunday, February 1, 2009

January in Retrospect



So I've decided that January has been a pretty good month. It came in with a bang and left on a high note. Of course you have already read about New Year's and whatnot. Another highlight was Tope's b-day/going away party with homemade crepes. I got some new students who are not water parties*. Here are some recent highlights:

Astin turned 24 on the 26th, a Monday. We spent the whole weekend enjoyable. We played all kinds of games my mom sent on Friday. On Saturday we cooked a huge dinner and I made a secret chocolate cheesecake. On Sunday we went to the first movie we had seen in over a month. It was the first movie we'd seen in a theatre in over three months. Wild, I know. We saw "My Name is Harvey Milk." I think in the States it's just called "Milk." It's definitely thought-provoking and I really liked it.

This weekend I went to Segovia with a bunch of people from work and we had a blast. It was supposedly a "sledding trip." However, the people we went with were, for the most part, pansies. Yep. Apparently since there was some wind and about 6 flakes of snow per minute, it was too extreme to sled. People from states with mountains were all confused by this. So we went on a hike instead. It was gorgeous! It was so nice to be in the mountains, with trees, enough snow to cover the ground, and clean air. We laughed and threw snow balls (incidentally also some small children who threw ice balls). Then we got on the bus and headed 30 minutes in the wrong direction. After the driver turned around we headed down to Segovia to see the aqueduct and have some lunch. Suckling pig was the house specialty but I went for the beef. We went to the castle in Segovia after. It had a rad view. We spent the bus ride home laughing and sleeping. All in all, it was a great way to end the month.

*This is a correction of a previous essay. I thought it was water park, but was actually water party.

2 comments:

amanda said...

I am sad I didn't ask before, I need your address to where I can mail you something. As you are in the wilderness, I understand that you might only use pigeon. However, mine doesn't go overseas but I could email you it if I had to, but mail would be more fun.

kimberlea faye said...

please tell me we can have a water party when i come visit!?!?! i'd REALLY appreciate it. also, if you could tell me what a water party is, that'd be great. love you!