Tuesday, December 27, 2011

89 Big Ones

My badass grandmother turned 89 a few days ago. I'm pasting below an awesome conversation we had on the phone. I post this conversation because it's pretty much the same thing as posting a conversation with myself from the future--deaf, occasionally cranky, but excited to talk to people. Kate: ...yep, I sure had a good time in Argentina. Grandma: Well that's great, honey. K: [knowing my g-ma used to love skiing] Grandma, guess what I got for Christmas? Skis and ski boots! G: Ha! Well, did you get some medicine for that? K: What? No, Grandma, I said I got SKIS and SKI BOOTS for Christmas. G: OH!!! I thought you said you got bit by MOSQUITOES! I fully intend to take a leaf from her book when "getting old" becomes a reality and not just a concept. I plan on swearing less often and at fewer people, but no one can deny the beauty of a well-executed, "Well, where the hell is my cane?!" But the exploring, the never-ending ravenous quest for learning, and a deep unshakable love of ice cream, these are things I can learn from. Cheers to the first 89, grandma, and rock on.

No comments: