Sunday, August 17, 2008

One size fits...no one.

That awesome title came from my boss's husband today. He came into work and saw the ill-fitting rubber gloves and the rest is history.

Whamo slammo. A lot has passed since the last time I blogged, so if you don't like long posts, get a new life at this time, please. Okay. Some events.
The day camp I worked for (I am done as of the 15th, sadly) took 66 kids to the zoo. My group wanted to be called, "Monkey Funky." I led them to the first exhibit. That exhibit then had diarrhea. 2 hours later and lots of whining about why our group didn't go to the gift shop, we left. It was a good time. Other highlights of this summer included: the same amount of kids, only a water park. My group buried my legs in the sand and made it into a fin. My first experience as a mermaid. One of the girls became concerned about my personal grooming habits. She interpreted the stiff gel in my hair as lack of washing and worriedly/mildly disapprovingly asked when I took a shower. This continued for a few days.


Our last day of summer was the 15th and the kids had a talent show. There were a lot of awkward moments, let me tell you. The grand finale was a staff rendition of Hannah Montana's "Best of Both Worlds." And you will know without being told who was Hannah Montanta. Hopefully I can post a video. We threw the whole routine together in 45 minutes in a small room. A room so small that I didn't realize how close my backup dancers were...until my hand karate chopped my boss in the nose. Forcefully. When we all recovered from near-death laughing attacks (or laughing/crying intervals for my boss), she said, "the show must go on" and performed the next sequence with a Kleenex hanging out her nose.

The money making continues. I accept all kinds of odd jobs. House cleaning, babysitting for farting one-year-olds, dogsitting for small old-man-looking chihuahuas, babysitting for hilarious nine-year-olds, making coffee, and working at a day camp. I also plan to have a yard sale.
I'm really going to miss the kids. I worked hard this summer trying to learn new techniques, new ways to say no, new ways to love them when I want to send them to another planet, new ways to see their world. Some of the ones that wouldn't listen to me at all now fling themselves at me when I get to work. It has been a good job.

No comments: