Sunday, August 24, 2008

This is how we do.

Fortune smiled upon me and I ended up with a free plane ticket to Portland. After a lengthy period of working my ass off (okay, I say that, but it's not always true. But I do work hard.), I was PUMPED to head out for some R&R. The R&R capitol is located at the Austen homestead.


I got to visit my aunt and her incredibly fat cat. Pan could double as a footstool. But, Pan and I are great friends and we had some good bonding cuddles. (Dun dun dun, my true inner cat lover is revealed.) I later bonded with Julio, who is not a cat, over some good lunch and coffee.


In true Portland style, I met up with Julianne in the pouring rain, and even remembered to grab the bridesmaid dress I left at my aunt's house in March. The next few days were spent laughing, cooking, watching movies, etc. And then we had a blackberry war. Many of you know that Julianne usually spends her days playing the piano, working, cooking low-fat desserts, and being otherwise mild-mannered. What many people do not know, is that, when provoked, she will scratch your eyes out. Okay, so that's never been documented, but it could happen. When we went berry picking, I warned her that we should wear old shirts in case we got messy. This should have translated into, "I will annihilate you with blackberries." She insists it did not. So she got a little pissed, in that way that quiet people do when they secretly want to kill you, when I threw the first few overripe berries. Eventually when we were covered from head to toe, she had fun. And plastered nasty berries in my hair.


Lunch and bubble tea with Grace topped off the trip. I realize this is kind of a boring list of events that only a limited number of people participated in. I did have some epiphanies about friendship. Small ones, about how I'm still friends with people I was around for less than three months, and some of those friendships are the strongest I have. Other small realizations about how even when I feel so crazy and how I feel all over the place and not knowing who I am, there are some friendships for which the craziness just doesn't matter. Drifting apart is a normal and healthy part of life sometimes. There is, however, a very beautiful thing about friendships that learn to change and adapt together.

No comments: