Friday, September 26, 2008

Note to self...don't laugh

I've been babysitting the twins about once a week since the beginning of the summer, and they're oddly well-behaved. Just good-natured kids who would rather have fun than argue about something. But last night we spent an hour problem solving about, yes, you guessed it, their life-consuming hobby--four leaf clovers. A dispute arose (after we laminated, cut, sorted, and counted about 400 four, five, and six leaf clovers) over one special clover and to whom it belonged. I tried my very best to take them seriously (I stopped laughing when I saw little lips quivering and little eyes fillng up with tears) as they discussed how each one knew the disupted clover was hers. "I just know it's mine because it has the three leaves and the one big odd leaf and and and..." "I just know it's mine because she has lots of those kinds and I only had a couple and it was really special to me and and and..." Yes, I did take a break to leave the room and laugh silently in the hall. It made me think about moms and how hard it must be to take your kids seriously some of the time. I remember being furious when my mom laughed at me a couple times (who wouldn't. I was ridiculous.) In the end, they came to a solution and we had enough time for fake moustaches and pretend car thievery, so I'd say it worked out. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. Each time I experience those moments with the realization that I did that to my parents I apologize to my parents in my head. The laughing moments are tricky too though. :)