Sunday, December 14, 2008

Come again?

On the whole, this was a much better week than last week. Thanksgiving is a thing of a past and Christmas planning is very exciting. Kristin and Jeremy are coming for the holiday so we’ll have a little family here. And some vicious Rook tournaments, from what I understand. :D

In order for you to understand how hilarious my students are and how funny teaching can be, I have collected some examples of “English” as provided by my 6 and 8 year old. Bear in mind, I am not making fun of them, believe me as a language learner, I am not making fun of them. Just explaining why teaching is hilarious. I have also provided translations from “English in process” to “English that English speakers understand.” Broosh your drem (make your bed), stecklums (carrot), hahrot (breakfast), aranandeck (rectangle). Now, this is just pronunciation. These girls are not to a spelling level, so the above words are strictly phonetic. The last one, aranandeck, was my personal favorite, because my student was developing a new method. I like to call it, “Just keep adding syllables that resemble sounds you have a vague recollection of. By doing so, eventually you may add enough of the right syllables from the same word.” To be fair however, this was a good week with many, many light bulb moments with my students. I learned that some of my efforts were not in vain. However, the third person and tricky little words like bread and carrot continue to present problems.

I’m posting some pictures from some walks I went on.




No comments: