Sunday, December 7, 2008

Snolidays (Holidays spelled with "sn")


This was my second Thanksgiving abroad. In a row. Thanksgiving isn’t a huuuuge ordeal in my family since we live so far away from our other relatives. It’s a small but insanely delicious gathering of about five people. But I missed it greatly nonetheless. Thanksgiving week was probably the roughest to-date. I taught until 10pm that night and then caught the metro home, arriving at 10:30. Astin and I went to the restaurant next door and had kind-of cold ravioli for the first course and Spanish Tortilla for the second. The night was looking a little doomed but we ended up talking to the staff of the little restaurant and they were so sweet. We talked about English and about family in America and the lady (possibly a co-owner?) gave us her business card and told us to come there for whatever we needed. It was so wonderful. Plus, they gave us a few things on the house, which is always excellent. :D

Many of you may be aware that Christmas falls in the month of December this year. You may be aware that it does this every year. You may not. In preparation for Christmas, some people have sent me some gifts. I have fluffed them and arranged them festively around the tree that we do not have. We went all the way out to IKEA to buy some sort of tall plant that would serve as Christmas tree now and “ambience” later. HOWEVER, it was closed for some holiday we didn’t even know about. So I just arrange the presents around a stool that will later hold a tree. I personally think they already look awesome. I have also cut out some snowflakes to prep for our ambitious decoration plan.

That is all for now. Thanks to those of you who have sent letters and e-mails and boxes. They have been incredibly appreciated.

P.S. In our empty metro car on the way back from the fruitless IKEA trip, Astin and I did cartwheels in the aisles.

3 comments:

kimberlea faye said...

i knew i should've mailed you a christmas tree. sorry about that...

ps. the talk we had about grad schools today got me to thinking. do you know any schools with ph.d. programs in boilology?

Anne said...

is that supposed to say boilology? is this some new fangled profession i don't know about?

Santa Claus said...

Oh Anne. Your youthful naivete astounds me. ANY word can be a profession or study if you add "ology" or "ologist."