Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Oops. Didn't realize it's been 2 weeks since I last posted. We've had a lot of rain lately (think 4.5 inches in one night), so lots of indoor activities. I did a "workshop" on how to make bagels. We've made peanut butter again, peach jam, chipas (Argentinian cheesy bread thing, but didn't quite turn out), and other tasty treats which I cannot remember at this time. Mostly our focus is on building the house. This mostly consists of sifting subsoil and hauling it in buckets up the hill to mix with the sand we hauled in wheelbarrows up the hill to mix with the water and pine needles that are already up there to make the mortar. AND hauling wheelbarrow loads of bricks from the base of the hill to the top of the hill. I am getting stronger. It helps when my hutmate and I sing medleys consisting of 80's jams, Disney songs, and showtunes while huffing and puffing up the hill, one pushing and one pulling the wheelbarrow. I also found an intercambio partner. Basically, I blurted out at the waitress at the store/restaurant where we buy our bulk food that if she wanted to, we could have Spanish/English conversations. It was weird, but it worked. We're visiting a farm on Friday run by Swiss immigrants where we will be eating meat raised right on the property. (Who ever thought I'd be excited to eat meat?!) Next week we don't have Tuesday off, but we do have an all-day fiesta where we will make pizza, probably empanadas, and then take 3 days off after that. I'm planning on heading to some Jesuit ruins nearby. Love to you all.

No comments: