Sunday, July 6, 2008

Library card, please

Time to check in. Coincidentally, it is also time to get a new library card.

The summer continues. Plenty of work to keep me busy (I wish there was plenty of money to keep me saving :D) And plenty of good times to be had. Highlights.

The twins. Once a week I get off work, drive to their house, have dinner with their fam, and then the parents depart. We either walk Ellie, play frisbee, bake something, or last week we made a giant deep sea chalk mural in their driveway. Somehow it had a dental theme. I think it started when I made an octopus with a toothbrush and they took it from there. After I named it Javier the sly dental hygienist, their parents told me the neighbor across the street was a dental hygienist. Whoops. After that, we read a chapter from "A Knight's Tale" (Edward Eager was one of the most brilliant children's authors, I feel) with voices and accents and noises. And then they go to bed. Usually, it's the highlight of my week. Who knew nine-year-olds were so fun.

We floated the river the other day. Lots of ridiculous events before and after, which involved walking for multiple miles in the blazing sun, waiting for rides, and chilling for hours. And it was a very good day. I did run into a few trees, though. And one guy didn't realize I was behind him and smacked a branch into me. Afterward we went to one of those old fashioned diners and I have never enjoyed a hamburger that much, I'm pretty sure. And please, please, ask Sydney how to scream at the top of your lungs.

Yesterday I went to a wedding. I generally find weddings to be agreeable, especially if I go with people I know, which I did. A bit of a long ceremony, but it was so gorgeous outside I barely noticed. Huge old trees and tons of green and some running water off to the side. And a very glamorous couple up front. Plus a dinner afterward. I think that's the first wedding I went to with a dinner afterward and it rocked my world. I've been to ones that were awfully close, though. At each wedding I find things that I do and don't want to do at my own wedding. Astin and I both talked about how we want fairly non-traditional weddings. I don't think I want it to be "my special day" because I think that would scare me. I want it to be a party for me, and for my studmuffin :), and for all the people that raised me, helped me grow, and listened to me whine/cry/laugh/doubt along the way. It's work to help people through relationships sometimes!

Also I mowed the lawn yesterday. Booyah.

No comments: