Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Mommy, wow! I'm a big kid now!

I never had Pull-ups. I had poor-ups. As in, get your poor butt up and practice using the big girl potty again. We did not pay for expensive pull-ups. In fact, I think my mom used cloth diapers. Yep, cloth diapers, but not the word butt.

So today, I got my sorry bottom up and dragged it, and my mom, through another wild and disheartening round of shopping. Apparently dressing like a grown-up is a little more difficult than I thought. Especially when I won't shop at stores I heard had labor abuse problems (realistically, probably most of them, but I take it as I learn it), buy the color brown (then I'd have to buy brown shoes), or spend 90,000 for a 6 inch square of cloth. My mother tried to remind me that high heels feel different than Chacos and that shopping at Goodwill for weird t-shirts is different than buying clothes to wear to a business. And no you can't wear those two colors of blue together. My mother is a patient woman.

News for the fashion-conscious who wish to save money: find an old couch and a seamstress. Apparently the new "in-thing" is to be able to lie, camoflaged, on your parent's couch from the 70's. I call it couch-wear. I think some people call it tweed, but I'm not sure. At any rate, buy a nasty couch and take all the fabric to your seamstress to fashion an entire wardrobe. It will save you hundreds. Also fashionable? Belts. There was some sort of belt tacked, swathed, sewn, or draped around roughly 74% of the shirts I encountered.

You are now up-to-date on couch-wear and belts. Please adjust your wardrobe accordingly.

2 comments:

Erin Hope said...

oh kate.
it's 7:30ish on my day off. that was amusing. and i thoroughly agree with the couch observation. ....fot the moment, i've just given up shopping for clothing altogether. if you've gotten high-heels, ....good luck walking in those things. i will pray for your balance. : ) p.s. - i washed my phone, but i think i might have it's replacement coming in the mail today. anyway, i will try to give a ring before you desert the country. ...lucky you.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the heels. I am also doing the "wearing heels everywhere I go thing." It's tricky when you are walking briskly on crappy tile-like stones trying to catch the bus or whatever. My feet are getting use to it, and I'm building g-reat leg muscles. :)