Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Keepin' it real

1) In honor of Columbus Day, we christened each of our flights the Niña, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria. This is the Niña.
2) The Pinta. Landon and Brenna came along for this flight. No photographs were taken on the Santa Maria flight because we were passed out for the whole thing.
3) At the Hostel from Hell, Astin lounges in the ancient, yet tacky living room.
4) Using the flusher and the community bathroom mop.
5) Relaxing in our tiny bathtub/washbasin.
6) Astin fixing the tub plug in our apartment.
7) Our first meal…canned ravioli which we decided to adult-ify by adding a tomato and some garlic.
8) Figuring out how to organize the dining room was a dilemma.
9) We rode the bullet train to a nearby town called Toledo. Graham (his real name, coincidentally) and Kastin (our team name) had a show-down between the two types of cookies we bought. We called this the Cookie Off.
10) Part of the landscape visible from one of the look-out points.
11) More panoramic view…you can see bridges and castles and whatnot in the distance.
12) Streets of Toledo.
13) Illegal picture taken in the Monasterio de San Juan de las Reyes (Monastery of St. John of the Kings). Tope was outside waiting, so she’s not in the picture.
14) Cathedral.


Well, much has happened since I last blogged, most of it positive. The most exciting thing was that Astin and I found an apartment we like and we talked the owner down 100 euros in the price. He’s a super nice guy who helped us with all of our luggage, cracks jokes, and we’ll probably grab something to eat together sometime. Just a good guy. It’s fairly furnished, like beds and tables and chairs and a few glasses and plates. I definitely think longingly to my kitchen in the states and replay fond memories of time spent with my spice rack, cheese grater, or measuring cups.

I also started classes. It takes about a month to take all the classes and start on practice teaching and lesson plans and whatnot. I can’t get certified until I finish enough hours of guided teaching and I hear that can take a while. This basically means that I’m without an income for November and probably part of December. I believe that is what optimists call “an adventure.” I’m not too stressed about all this, though. Teaching has never been listed in the Lucrative Professions Category in my mind.

Other positive things? Understanding the Metro system, learning how to get around Spain’s complicated streets…at least to the areas I’ve needed so far (think Portland on steroids and crack. At the same time.), cooking, enjoying classes, learning what a phrasal verb is, going to Toledo, recovering from a bad cold that caused me to accidentally sneeze on a wall at Starbucks (that was horrifying).

Well, that’s my blog for now. I’m trying to keep it a little interesting, informative enough, and a bit humorous. Feel free to leave feedback. I know I didn’t go into much detail, but let’s face it, the best way to wonder if watching the grass grow is interesting is to read someone’s blog about travel. Most of them go like this, “Hey everyone! Here is a boring list of all these awesome places I’ve been that will be of no interest to you and you might not ever go there, anyway. Haha! I love you soooooo much.”

Rest assured, I am safe, in relative good health, I am learning about all those parts of grammar that make most people vomit (predicate nominatives, anyone?), and having a pretty good time. If you aren’t on the e-mail list and would like to be, shoot me an e-mail or facebook message with your e-mail address. I will be sending out an e-mail that has my postal address. Take note, those who wish to receive higher percentages of my estate should send me lots of mail. Otherwise, I will instruct my lawyer to take you out of my will.

1 comment:

Erin Hope said...

i have the day off tomorrow, which in essence = time to write a letter. : ) oh, and you absolutely need to go to my blogspot ( the abcoram whatever it's called one ( in latin) for a good laugh. seriously. these are the types of stories you revel in. well. it's one in the morning here, which is way past my bedtime,....so.....