Thursday, October 9, 2008

New law. You can't leave.

In case you weren't aware, I love to make people laugh. And I love laughing together. I do not subscribe to that philosophy that says that jokes are funnier (more funny? yeah, I'll be teaching English.) when you don't laugh at your own. Heck, I often laugh at my own jokes more than the people around me. Syd and I occasionally do this thing where one of us is rocking in silent laughter with tears rolling, unable to breathe while the entire room gapes with no clue what is happening.

Ironically, in the past few days, even with the tension of packing and leaving people I am crazy about, I have laughed more than I have in a long time. I think it helps ease the transition. Like when the twins tell me about their plans to chain me to their house or that a new law has mandated that I will never leave. Those things are funny even as the lump in my throat gets bigger when I scoop them up for a last hug.

Or when my mom tells me how she punched her college boyfriend. That's really funny even when I realize that an ocean will squeak its way in between us soon.

1 comment:

kimberlea faye said...

it's only an ocean. AND now i have enough money to cross it to run after you. i'm crazy excited to hear about your adventures and find out what spain has in store for you. and of course i'm excited to pretend i can speak spanish and run around town with you next summer.