Monday, August 3, 2009

Well, in my grandmother's words, "Spicy!" Yep, life has been a little spicy as of late. Little events here and there. For example, I recently purchased a pair of rollerblades from craigslist for one dollar. That's right, go back and read it again because I definitely meant to type "one dollar." I bought them on Saturday and have had a tragically long wait. On Saturday night we went to the drive-in to see The Proposal and Transformers 2. I liked The Proposal, but 2.5 hours of big pieces of metal blowing up other big pieces of metal wasn't really my thing. Then on Sunday I hung out with a friend who was in town for only a bit and we saw Away We Go at the Flicks. I recommend it. :D Funny movie. And I had my first scone experience at Merritt's. Quality times, all of it.

Thus, today, was supposed to be the virgin voyage of my rollerblades. And then this

happened. I call it "Tropical, Yet Landlocked Tsunami of Dirt". Unfortunately my skills as a rollerblader are pretty slim. There I was, moving down the sidewalk at about 65 miles an hour by no effort of my own (the wind was really just that strong) and thinking to myself about how I never DID master the whole stopping thing, even at my middle school Rollerdrome I-read-all-those-damn-AR-books-so-get-me-out-of-this-school skating parties. I was not surprised when the gulf winds then launched me onto the grass. You may ask why I had been heading this direction in the first place. A novice rollerblader, no matter how stylish he or she may look with the wristguards he or she purchased for 75 cents at a large yardsale, should be aware of earth conditions such as Tropical, Yet Landlocked Tsunami Gale Forces. Well, the answer is simple. I was following a pink kite. It went zooming past, and, not being one to pass up a good deal, I followed it, hoping to add a pink kite to my list of recent bargain steals. After being launched onto the grass, I looked up and studied the kite, which was across several sidewalks of varying height levels with no parking signs (aka, brake stops) in sight. I then noticed that the kite was actually a severely dismembered umbrella and not likely to do me any good. So, I attempted to head back to my vehicle, despite monstrous winds blowing in my face.

But the drama continues. A white station wagon pulled into the deserted parking lot. I decided since I had 18 kilograms of sand in my eyes anyway, I should probably leave, especially since the station wagon was coming directly towards me. They pulled up beside me and asked if I had seen....a pink TENT. YES! The kite was not actually a dismembered umbrella at all, but rather a child's tent, probably featuring a barbie or princess. This explained any previous doubts I had held about the proper shape of an umbrella.

In final news, Kelsi and I and possibly Kyla have started a rollerblading club. If you would like to join, we are offering co-presidency to any new members who join before February 13th.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha. Oh Kate, I wish you and I were in the same city. I haven't had any real adventures since I've been back in America, and I feel that being near you would remedy that. :)