Tuesday, September 6, 2011

“Technical blog” – eating ideas

Every breakfast we eat is cereal (made of oats, puffed rice, puffed wheat, corn flakes, raisins, coconut, and maybe some other ingredients that escape me, like flax), homemade whole grain bread (sometimes with butter, jam, peanut butter depending), homemade yogurt, bananas, and we usually all drink tea.
Lunch is the big meal of the day. We often have something more flavorful accompanied by a green salad and rice, pasta, or today we did boiled mandioca (yucca…it’s similar to a potato but a but chewier and sweeter). Every meal is vegetarian and includes varieties of vegetables like potatoes, tomatoes, beets, celery, swiss chard, leeks, onions, carrots, etc, etc. Ingredients I’m not used to are stinging nettle, plantain, etc. Since we only light the wood stove once a day, we cook the vegetables for our dinner so that all we do is reheat it. We usually have bread with this meal, too.
Dinner is soup. We reheat the giant pot of soup and have it with bread and usually butter.
So far we haven’t eaten snacks, except for leftover salad from lunch and our never-ending supply of mandarins. No one in this group is overweight at all…I’m the plumpest one. But, at least for me, I can feel my digestive system going a little crazy as it goes through withdrawals from sugar, easy carbs, and other fats. I am also used to more protein. I think we’ll get that more adjusted as the internship progresses, however.

No comments: