Tuesday, September 6, 2011

And here we are.

So here we are. It’s been a whirlwind, to say the least. After Houston, I safely made it to Buenos Aires and stumbled out to the cross-city bus I’d need to get to the bus that would take me out to Oberá. I definitely almost knocked a trash can over onto an old man who was saved by the person pushing his wheelchair. When I was in a remis from the last bus stop to the next big bus stop, I met some people who were there for the immigrant festival, also in Oberá…small world. I bought my ticket and then proceeded to wait for 6 hours for my bus and met Meghan and Skyler along the way. I then promptly missed my bus because the ticket didn’t match the sign.
One of the station employees was also licensed through the company to drive a remis (taxi-ish) and rushed me and all my luggage out to his car. There was a moment where I considered that he could shove me in the trunk, especially when he told me we’d have to catch the bus at the next station 45 minutes away. I went with my gut instinct which said I’d be safe and hopped in the car. The driver used the shoulder, drove in two lanes simultaneously, and was not aware he owned a turn signal, but we got there just in time, I paid him all my money and sprinted for the bus. It was an overnight bus and I could have slept quite soundly except I realized that the bus driver wasn’t announcing the stops and I was paranoid I’d miss it. Luckily this nice older couple helped me and it turns out that Neil and Tim were on the bus the whole time anyway. We got off, met up with most of the rest of the interns from the other bus, bussed into town and met up with Marcelo. We bought boots, withdrew cash, and used the internet which is in a gas station café. We then crammed 9 people into the car and headed out to the farm.
After lunch, we set about putting our things together in our tents and cabins. I love our group. We get along respectfully, humorously, and everyone has a huge appetite for learning. Well, we actually have huge appetites in general. I´m living in the Cosmic Cabin and my roommate is a Canadian named Renee.
My cabin:
The garden:

Some generalities: we have breakfast at 7:30, start work at 8:30, lunch at 12, siesta till 3, work until 5ish, dinner at 7. We have Tuesdays and Fridays off. Sunday evenings we watch documentaries, and Saturday evenings we have our meetings. We talk about things we appreciate, things we’re frustrated about, anything we want to share, show gratitude, bring up for discussion, etc. etc. etc.
I thought about reporting on my bicep size, but as of yet, there are no changes noted.
Overall, I just love it. I get cold (30 degrees the first night), hot (85+ today), tired, and reclusive, but those are a very small slice in a pie I am very grateful to have. I’m learning lots from our sessions, from the people around me, and from myself. For the first time, I’ve allowed myself an adjustment period to work through the exhaustion, culture shock, and living in a community.
And damn it feels good.

1 comment: